Are you struggling to reach your target audience and bring traffic to your website through PPC advertising? We totally get it—managing PPC campaigns can be tough and time-consuming. But don’t worry, we’ve got some great news for you! AI and PPC automation can be a game-changer for your business. By using these tools, you can save time and get even better results. In this blog post, you will learn about the 10 ways you can improve your PPC campaigns with AI and automation.
How Automatic Bids and AI Are Changing PPC
The use of AI technology in PPC is not big news anymore. Automatic bidding and AI have been transforming the PPC advertising world for quite a while. They’re changing the way e-commerce businesses handle their advertising campaigns, making the process more efficient, data-driven, and ultimately more effective. Let’s take a look at how automatic bids, PPC automation, and AI are revolutionizing PPC advertising.
- AI adjusting PPC bids in real-time. Automatic bidding has many advantages, including real-time bid adjustments. AI algorithms analyze user behavior, device type, location, and more to determine the optimal bid for each ad auction, ensuring that your bids are competitive and aligned with your campaign goals.
- Improved efficiency. Automatic bidding improves efficiency by reducing the manual effort required to manage bids constantly. AI takes care of bid adjustments automatically, so you can focus on more strategic aspects of your campaigns.
- Enhanced precision. AI algorithms can also process vast amounts of data and recognize patterns that humans might miss, leading to more precise bid adjustments and better targeting.
- Advertising budget optimization. Automatic bidding systems can allocate your budget dynamically to campaigns or ad groups that are performing well, ensuring that your budget is spent where it will have the most impact.
- Improved campaign management. AI-powered systems not only optimize bids but can also adjust other campaign settings based on real-time performance data, ensuring that your campaigns are always aligned with current market conditions and user behavior.
- Data-driven decision making. AI provides marketers with actionable insights and recommendations based on data analysis, helping advertisers make informed decisions.
- Personalization. AI can personalize ad experiences for individual users by analyzing their past behavior and preferences, leading to more relevant ads and higher click-through rates.
- Competitive advantage. Businesses that leverage automatic bidding and AI gain a competitive edge, responding quickly to changes in the advertising landscape, outbidding competitors when necessary, and maintaining a consistent presence in ad auctions.
- Scalability. Using automatic bidding and AI simplifies scaling PPC campaigns. You can grow your audience and handle bigger campaigns without needing to put in more manual work.
- Reduced human error. Automation helps to reduce mistakes made by people when managing bids, like bidding too much or too little on keywords. This makes sure that advertising money is used wisely.
Now, let’s how you can run AI-optimized PPC campaigns on different ad platforms.
How to Improve Your PPC Campaigns with Google Ads AI Automation
Here are the AI solutions built-in Google Ads that you can use for your benefit.
- Smart bidding is a set of automated bidding strategies that use machine learning to optimize bids for conversions or conversion value. It includes strategies like Target CPA (Cost Per Acquisition), Target ROAS (Return on Ad Spend), and Maximize Conversions.
- Responsive Search Ads (RSA) allow you to input multiple headlines and descriptions, and Google Ads automatically tests different combinations to determine the most effective ad text for each search query.
- Responsive Display Ads: Similar to RSA for search, Responsive Display Ads allow you to provide various images, headlines, and descriptions. Google’s AI then assembles and optimizes ad combinations for display campaigns.
- Dynamic Search Ads (DSA): DSA automatically generates ad headlines and landing pages based on the content of your website. It’s a time-saving option for advertisers with extensive websites.
- Google Ads Recommendations: This tool uses AI to provide advertisers with suggestions for improving ad campaigns. It can suggest changes to keywords, bids, ad copy, and more.
- Audience Expansion: Google Ads uses AI to identify and recommend new audience segments that are likely to convert based on your existing customer data.
- Performance Max Campaigns: This campaign type uses machine learning to automatically allocate your budget across various Google properties and networks to maximize your campaign’s performance.
- Ad Suggestions: Google Ads can automatically generate ad suggestions based on your existing ad copy. Advertisers can review and apply these suggestions as needed.
- Auto-Applied Recommendations: Some recommendations provided by Google Ads can be set to auto-apply, allowing Google’s AI to make changes to your campaigns without manual intervention.
- Keyword Match Types Suggestions: Google Ads may suggest changes to your keyword match types based on performance data and user search behavior.
- In-Market Audiences: Google Ads offers in-market audiences that use AI to identify users actively researching and considering products or services similar to what you offer. These audiences can be targeted in your campaigns.
- Custom Audiences: You can create custom audiences based on user behavior and interactions with your website, such as site visitors or previous converters, using AI-driven data analysis.
Note that Google continuously updates and enhances its advertising platform, so it’s essential to check the latest features and tools available in Google Ads to make the most of AI-driven optimizations for your advertising campaigns.
How to Use AI and PPC Automation for Microsoft Advertising Campaigns
With pay-per-click (PPC) advertising on Microsoft Advertising (formerly Bing Ads), you can reach a vast audience of potential customers. Unlike Google Ads, Microsoft Advertising may have a lesser market share but it does offer many advantages for e-commerce businesses. To maximize the effectiveness of your Microsoft Advertising campaigns, you can leverage automation tools and techniques.
PPC automation is a game-changer for Microsoft Advertising campaigns. By automating various aspects of your campaigns, you can save time, improve efficiency, and achieve better results. Whether it’s bid management, ad copy testing, or audience targeting, Microsoft Advertising offers a range of automation options to help you get the most out of your PPC efforts.
Let’s look at ten ways to use PPC automation for your Microsoft Advertising campaigns.
- Automated bidding strategies. Leverage Microsoft Advertising’s automated bidding strategies like Enhanced CPC (eCPC), Target CPA, and Target ROAS to let the platform automatically adjust your bids for better performance. These strategies use machine learning algorithms to optimize your bids in real-time.
- Keyword Management. Use automated keyword management tools to discover new keywords, identify negative keywords, and adjust keyword bids. This ensures that you’re targeting the most relevant search terms and improving ad relevancy.
- Ad copy testing. Automate your ad copy testing process by using tools that rotate different ad variations and analyze their performance. This helps you identify the most effective ad copy quickly.
- Ad scheduling automation. Set up automated ad scheduling based on historical data to display your ads during peak conversion times. This ensures your ads are shown when they are most likely to convert.
- Dynamic Search Ads (DSA). Utilize Dynamic Search Ads to automatically generate ad headlines and landing page URLs based on the content of your website. This saves time and ensures your ads are always up to date.
- Automated rules. Create automated rules to perform specific actions when certain conditions are met. For example, you can set rules to increase bids on high-converting keywords or pause underperforming ads.
- Audience targeting. Leverage automation to target specific audience segments based on demographics, interests, and behavior. Microsoft Advertising offers audience targeting options that can help you reach your ideal customers.
- Ad extensions. Automate the management of ad extensions like sitelinks, callouts, and structured snippets. These extensions provide additional information to users and can improve your ad’s visibility.
- Budget management. Use automation to manage your budget effectively. Set up rules to adjust daily or campaign budgets based on performance metrics, ensuring you don’t overspend on less effective campaigns.
- Performance reporting. Leverage automated reporting tools to receive regular updates on your campaign’s performance. Automated reports can provide insights into key metrics, allowing you to make data-driven decisions quickly. Bear in mind that third-party tools usually provide more detailed and in-depth reporting and analysis on ad campaigns.
Why Use Third-Party AI Solutions to Improve Your PPC Campaigns
Both Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising offer AI solutions for e-commerce businesses. So why use third-party AI tools when the ad platforms already have those? Is Google AI good or not? Well, it is good but there are nuances to consider.
There are fundamental differences between built-in AI and automation that come with ad platforms and third-party AI tools for ad optimization. These boil down to the following: Google Ads and Microsoft Ads AI can make your e-commerce routine simpler and even improve your ad performance but they will not favor your online business excessively. Here’s why.
- Widespread adoption. Many e-commerce businesses are already using Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising and their AI-powered features. As a result, the playing field is relatively level when it comes to access to these tools. The advantage they offer is not exclusive to any single business. The AI will eventually limit your competitive advantage. A third-party AI will always be in favor of your business.
- Data availability. The effectiveness of AI in Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising depends on the quality and quantity of data available. New or smaller e-commerce businesses may not have as much historical data to train AI algorithms effectively, potentially limiting the advantage they can gain from AI. On the opposite, stand-alone AI solutions can extract useful insights and valuable data right at the start. For example, BrightBid’s AI engine for Google Shopping ads—Bidbrain—uses a product activation algorithm that finds hidden gems in your product catalog, even if you have no historical data at all. In general, third-party AI data analysis is an insanely powerful tool because it goes beyond the constraints of ad platform analysis and provides you with hidden insights as well as enables your products to stand out the best way possible.
- Limited competitor analysis. No AI feature in any of the ad platforms will let you get a comprehensive analysis of your competitors because this will eliminate the fair play that Google and Microsoft are supposed to ensure between all e-commerce businesses that use their digital ad services. On the contrary, third-party AI solutions can enable you to analyze your competitors, their strategies and tactics in their entirety, and ultimately provide you with a competitive advantage over them.
- Competitive bidding. AI-driven bidding strategies in Google Ads, such as Smart Bidding, are widely used. In competitive markets, the advantage gained from automated bidding may be offset by other businesses using similar strategies, resulting in a bidding war that can increase costs. Third-party bidding automation solutions can work around these rules and issues and act truly smart, by using a more granular approach and competitive analysis.
- Changing algorithms. Google continually updates its algorithms and AI models. What works today might not work as effectively tomorrow, and e-commerce businesses need to adapt quickly to these changes, limiting any lasting competitive edge. Third-party AI automation tools are usually good at spotting the tweaks in the AI algorithms and models of ad platforms and adapting to them—this way you are able to retain your competitive advantage with the existing ad campaigns and you can keep rolling as if nothing happened.
While Google Ads AI and solutions alike in Microsoft Advertising can certainly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of advertising campaigns for e-commerce businesses, they do not provide an excessive competitive advantage on their own.
Success in e-commerce relies on a holistic approach that includes factors beyond advertising, such as product quality, customer experience, branding, and the use of third-party AI and automation tools.
For example, BrightBid AI engine for optimizing advertising campaigns is built the way that it
- compliments the existing AI of Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising
- uses its own authentic machine learning, natural language processing, and bidding algorithms and models to provide e-commerce businesses with a tangible competitive advantage.
Below are just some things you can do with BrightBid’s AI technology for PPC automation.
Do Ad Copy at Scale to Get into New Markets
BrightBid AI not only eliminates the need to write hundreds of different Google Ad copy variations but also charges your ad campaigns with extra scalability and easy localization capabilities. BrightBid creates thousands of unique ads automatically by scanning your website and your competitors. and then uses automated A/B testing to work out the winning copy for each keyword and combination of ad creatives.
Also, you will not need to use translators for each of your core markets. BrightBid AI can automatically translate your ads into 58 languages while keeping your brand identity and messaging coherent and authentic. Take your best-performing campaigns, translate them to high-quality ads and include A/B testing to make sure the new ads work in each country.
Use AI to Build Quality Keyword Lists and Boost Ad Efficiency
Just getting started with PPC? You can build out your first keyword list using your website, or your competitor’s website, as your base. BrightBid AI scans the text and builds out the keyword list automatically—brilliant for site launches.
Finding new keywords in the long tail is like mining for gold: sometimes you hit a rich seam but often it’s wasted hours. With BrightBid, you can build out related keywords and test these automatically.
You can use BrightBid AI to optimize the structure of your Google account to set your themes and keyword groups to reach the highest relevance possible between the keyword and landing page. This increases your quality score and ensures the lowest CPC possible.
Want to get more SEO traffic without increasing your SEO budget? With BrigthBid, you can scan competitor bids on your search terms and automatically turn on brand search only when they do and not when they don’t. This makes sure you only advertise on brand keywords when needed, saves your PPC budget and increases clicks on your SEO links without increasing spend.
Focus on finding new customers like your best old customers. BrightBid AI calculates the preferences of each search user, how and when they convert, which messages the user is receptive to and on what ad unit and device and finds new users just like them.
Be Truly Smart With Bidding and Ad Assets
Don’t waste time manually calculating your bids anymore: the AI bids up higher-value prospects and bids down low-value ones. Be sure to connect your first-party data to your Google Ads account via your CRM or e-commerce engine to manage this in real-time.
Want to decrease your bounce rates in one easy step? BrightBid AI engine rewrites and optimizes ads with high bounce rates and continuously strives for better visitor quality—defined as a low bounce rate and high average time per visit.
So, if you are using only the AI and automation tools that Google Ads and Microsoft Advertising offer, you are missing immense growth opportunities for your business, especially when it comes to ROI and conversion rate optimization. The ideal approach to running PPC campaigns today is to extend the power of AI solutions that already exist in the advertising platforms by adding the extra power of third-party AI tools and solutions for PPC advertising. And if you are already using some automated solutions but are looking for AI for better PPC, check the BrightBid use case below.
How to Use Stand-Alone AI and Automation Tools in PPC Advertising [BrightBid Use Case]
Nobis Hospitality Group, a Swedish hotel chain, faced challenges driving cost-effective direct bookings for the Blique by Nobis Hospitality Group due to strong competition from travel aggregator sites. In just 8 weeks, BrightBid boosted Blique’s PPC conversions by 45% and increased Return on Ad Spend (ROAS) by a remarkable 216%.
Nobis Hospitality Group aimed to expand its premium hotel, Blique, internationally. While they had success with paid search for other brands, they struggled to achieve cost-effective direct bookings for Blique. Their goal was to increase direct website bookings, reducing commissions paid to travel aggregator sites.
BrightBid combined AI-driven technology with human expertise, optimizing results with a limited budget. They reduced site clicks by 17%, increased Cost Per Click (CPC), and attracted higher-quality traffic, resulting in a 40% reduction in bounce rate and a 15% increase in session duration. Target optimization and bid adjustments were key to attracting high-value customers.
BrightBid’s efforts increased website traffic conversion to bookings by 45% and revenue from bookings by 257%, leading to a remarkable 216% boost in ROAS.